Critical Reflection


The Effective Communication module was a fulfilling journey for me as I get to improve myself in terms of writing and presenting skills. When the module first began, I thought it was going to be just another typical bridging English Language class. But as week past by, I’ve gained quite a bit from my fellow peer mates and Professor Blackstone. The flow of how the module panned out was relatively smooth as we started with back to the basics of English Language and then applying to the assignment such as design summary, review, technical writing. During these few weeks, I’ve also improved in my presenting skills as daily task routine includes gathering and understanding website information and presenting what we have learned from the website to our classmates. Through this, I was able to get feedback from my peers and Professor Blackstone. Furthermore, this exercise also allows us to practice and build our confidence in public speaking progressively. In the first assignment, I mentioned that my weakness is public speaking. However, towards the end of the module, I’ve learned that with passion and preparation, top it off with confidence, I was able to improve significantly in my presenting skills in terms of lesser stuttering, better projection of my voice and ability to maintain eye contact with the audience.

The greatest challenge in this module was the research project and design proposal report. I feel that our idea was not as strong in terms of desirability. Midway through the assignment, our team kept running into obstacles such as seeing similar product in the existing market. Our team also tends to sidetrack away from our ideal product. Through this report, I learned the importance of communication, by effectively communicating within the team, it ensures that everyone is in sync. Though our team has suffered hiccups at the beginning, we managed to overcome all obstacles and finish the report. Moreover, with the guidance of our professor, we were able to complete the technical report. For the oral presentation part, each of us came up with a script as a tool to aid us in presenting our own individual slides. From there, we give feedback to each other on how we can further improve in our individual script. Our team went through the entire slides together so that the whole team knows the entire flow of the slides.

To conclude, I’m grateful to attend these 13 weeks of the module as through this module, I was able to improve in terms of language writing, technical writing and presentation skills. With this, I hope to strive harder and constantly improve myself as I progress towards my university days.


Comments

  1. Thanks very much, Benedict, for this highly detailed reflection. You explain your reaction to parts of the module in some detail, and you provide lots of specific illustrations in reaction to the work you've done through the term.

    In reference to to the opral presentation, I'm impressed by the point you make about needing to speak with "passion and preparation, (and) top it off with confidence." The proof of this is the way you and your team were able to come together to craft a good oral presentation and the tech report, which I look forward to reading in its entirety.

    I also appreciate the enthusiasm for learning that you have expressed not just in this reflection but throughout the module, and the consistent willingness you showed to express yourself by asking questions. Further build on that spirit of enquiry, Benedict and you'll be able to learn at a high level.

    Best wishes as you continue your learning journey!

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Professor Brad,

      Thank you for taking the time in reading my critical reflection. I am glad to be in your class for the past 13 weeks because you made the lesson interesting and engaging. You also shared with us your experience, be it in life or in your teaching career. I will use the knowledge and skills I have gained from you and carry forward with me in my remaining university life.

      Yours sincerely,
      Benedict

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Formal Letter (Descriptive Reflection)

Design Summary Analysis Draft #2